Wednesday, March 26, 2008

To Eat, or Not to Eat

I thought that since I sell dog biscuits in my etsy shop, http://kittenskornercafe.etsy.com/ I would provide some helpful information about dogs and thier health. Hopefully those readers who have dogs will find someting useful here! ;)


Dogs and humans have different metabolism's, and some foods that humans can eat are potentially toxic in dogs. Read labels carefully and become familiar with the foods dogs should avoid.





Chocolate



Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine. In dogs, chocolate causes increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, andrestlesness. Toxic doses can lead to seizures, irregular heart rhythm, and in some cases even death.





Macadamia Nuts


These fatty nuts contain an unknown toxin that can affect your dogs muscles, as well as her digestive and nervous system.






Caffeine


Caffeine is found in coffe, tea, chocolate, cola, and human stimulants. Caffeinated products can be toxic and will affect your dogs heart and nervous system.


That is all I have time for today, but I will continue in my next post a few more common foods that dogs shouls avoid and why. Remember, if you are ever in doubt about what your dog can have, check with your vet. ;)

No comments: