Thursday, March 27, 2008

To Eat, or Not to Eat Continued

So, in my last post I mentioned a few common food items that you should have your dog avoid. These are items that may be harmless for humans (unless you have an allergy to them of course), but can be very toxic to our furry friends. I wanted to add three more items to this list.

Grapes (and raisins)

Grapes and raisins contain an unknown toxin that can lead to acute kidney and liver failure in dogs. The condition is severe and comes on quickly. Some dogs are more susceptible to dangerous effects from grapes and raisins than others, and unfortunetly there is no other way to tell unless you encounter a problem.


Onions and other members of the allium family may cause abnormalities in red blood cells, resulting in anemia.


Mushrooms can contain various toxins that can affect your dogs nervous system, causing vomiting and diarrhea. Watch out for those mushrooms that may grow wild in your back yard and at parks!

And just remember, when in doubt, be sure to check with your vet. Or just tell yourself, when in doubt, your dog can do without! ;)

My next post will be a little lighter! ;) I am featuring a seller! Be sure to check back so you can see this great shop and read the interview! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: